When did you get your first bike? You know, the two-wheeler with training wheels? It seems to me I remember learning. Now, maybe it's really remembering learning on two wheels, but I remember racing around as Wonder Woman on big wheels for some time before I got a bike. Not so here in the great lakes state. Or at least in our neighborhood. Every kid in the neighborhood has a two-wheeler with training wheels. Evy got invited to the park with a family down the street who's two kids (6 and 3) were on bikes. Another little neighborhood boy went with them (just turned 3) with his new bike, and there rides my little daughter, not the youngest in the group on her "baby trike". (although she had to wear her helmet because the other kids were.)
We've been talking about getting a little bike for Evy, but it seems like that's a big thing and should be a special present or something. But her birthday isn't until September and she wouldn't get to have any fun with it if we waited until then, and her pool just sprung a leak, so I broke down and we headed to the store.
There were a myriad of bikes to chose from. Standard "Huffy" to "Mongoose". Evy slowly passed by the blue with sparkles. Jayson put her on the Mongoose (complete with bell and babydoll carrier) she started out wobbly, and saw the princess bike. She stopped and tried to climb on the too-big frame besotted with Belle, Aroura, and Jasmine. I thought for sure we'd be on our way to Meijer to pick up the one in her size (complete with handlebar fringe, little flowers in the spokes, and a detachable princess pack). But she didn't get half way down the bike isle when she saw the little red Dora bike with the white seat. She struggled down from the princess bike and hopped on the Dora one. She crused three or four isles before we could stop her and try to convince her another way. Me, being the non-gimic, non-character person I am tried to convice her towards the metalic blue bike with the bell and streamers. The one she won't feel like a baby with next year because she's totally out-grown the whole "Dora the Explorer" thing. But she was unwavering. I even tried the princess bike angle. No. she wanted the Dora. The last Dora bike complete with already riped seat and detaching stickers.
*sigh*
defeated by my husband and daughter I walked behind my little biker to the register, out to the car, around the entire neighborhood three times. Pretty much, I've been walking behind her and the Dora bike ever since.
"Mommy, I love my Dora bike. I love it so much."
I guess that makes it worth it.
Wednesday, July 13, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
yeah, I'm ready for the "dora" season in our lives to be over...however, Syd seems to have picked it up *sigh* Hang in there, choose rather to focus on the fact that she can ride a bike!!!
Awww her first bike...how fun!
I really wanted big wheels for my boys, but they don't even seem to make them today!
Do you remember what happened when you and I were learning to ride our bikes? Heading straight towards each other on Grandma's front sidewalk on 4th Ave we both swerved to miss each other, only we both swerved the same way - CRASH - head on right into each other! Last time I checked our tire marks were still in the concrete sidewalk over there!
i so understand the character thing...... grrrrr.... and these marketing people, they know their stuff..... *sigh*....
its sweet that she is so proud of her dora bike anyway! :)
(Dora symbolizes PEACE & QUIET in our household. The minute Noah hear's Boots at the start of the theme song we know we've got 20 minutes worth of it!) Congrat's on your little rider! Before you know it Jayson will be running her around the grassy yard without the training wheels. Sniff sniff...
Post a Comment