Thursday, September 1, 2005

Can a Person DO This?

OK, I know there is such tragedy in the south right now that I'm just completely fortunate to be in my dry house with cupboards and a fridge full of food and clean water right from the tap (not to mention there is no one looting Howell with guns etc...)
BUT
It's almost 10 at night, and my beloved husband has gone out to fill both our cars with gas. I'm half expecting some secret service man to bang down our door after I post this because Presedent George DID say we're not supposed to buy gas unless we really need it, but I really need NOT to pay 4.25 for gas next week.
Jayson went to fill my truck and came back to get his car saying the attendant told him the price was going from 3.15 to about 3.70 at midnight. He started talking about buying barrels and storing it in our garage. I stopped listening when he started talking bunkers. We have started walking to Kroger if we need anythign besides major groceries though, that's doing something, right?
Also, I have decided that Michigan is A-OK with me. When I think about what dangers a more temperate climate would bring (ie: underwater housing) Howell seems pretty darn great.
I know I'm being very short-sighted here in the wake of such a tragedy, but circumstances being what they are around our family right now, I'm just feeling a bit gilb.
I think I'll escape into the new Sophie Kinsella book for a while. (No looting/martial law/whole cities underwater/national gas shortages there.)

Jayson's not home from 5 blocks away yet....maybe looting has started in Howell...

5 comments:

Felecia said...

It's bizarre to think back through recent history and realize that similar things happened while even we were younger (minus, perhaps, the domestic bleak coastal conditions...) Gas shortages, deficits, war, etc. Somebody I love and admire might be whispering "this too shall pass" right about now.

"Oofta!"

(Ya, dis frozen tundra called Minnesoooota ain't so bad after all!)

Misty said...

exactly right, this too shall pass. my grandmother, in all of her wisdom, is taking time to point out that this is hardly the worst it could be... Just a bit nerve racking for us because we haven't seen the "worst" like the generations before us. (you know- those who had to walk to school buck naked in 29 feet of snow, up hill both ways!)
get to know samantha... i like her. i actually realized today what a great movie that book would make!

Me & My Crazy Boys! said...

I hope looting hasn't taken over :) I guess you and Jayson could look at it in a different light. You are simply "pumping" money into the economy by purchasing your gas now :) Love you and have a SUPER FUN trip!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY EVY!!!!

kelli said...

Ouch! I am riding my bike as much as possible, the problem is that every time I do I risk my life on these crazy roads around here!

eyes_only4him said...

my hubby has to drive an hour to work eveyday..I told him he better ride his bike..the gas here is about 3.20..in Minneapolis anyway..i cant even belive it..seems crazy..

and yes, right now living in the midwest seems pretty good..but today we had a tornado rip threw town..lovley..;)