Evy began swimming lessons today. She is an official "beginner" now (as opposed to last year's "pre-beginner" status). It was so much fun watching her in the class. The summer has made such a difference for this little girl. She actually swam by herself ABOVE WATER for about a yard. She was so proud of herself. She really seems to like her class and her teacher, and was only mildly distracted (in a delighted sort of way) that her friend Zoe is taking a class in the same pool at the same time as she is. She still bobbed under a few times in her jubilant jumping up and down, and greedily volunteered to do everything first. I can’t believe the difference a year makes, but then, Evy’s been very sage-like about becoming four. She can do everything now that she’s a four-year-old. Just ask her.
All summer long I’ve been sticking those water wings up her arms, and most of the time she’s been sliding them off. On vacation she tried to convince us that because she’s four now, she doesn’t need them. She can do everything. She remained steadfast in her convictions and undaunted even when her “wingless” attempt sent her under like a brick. She just came up sputtering “I sinked!” completely surprised. She also began jumping whole-heartedly off the side plunging underwater and bobbing back up. This she called “practicing her four-year-old jumps.” They turned into daring, leg-flailing, arm-flapping jumps over Jayson’s arms, legs, stomach and head. All of this happened while, beside the pool, I pretended to read a book and remembered to keep breathing in and out. I’ll leave the daring adventure partnerships to Daddy. My mommy heart just can’t take all this letting go at once…even if she IS four.
Thursday, September 22, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Ah four (sigh). I loved four. I think it was one of my favorite ages. No more wetting the bed, learning to swim, riding a bike with training wheels, and yet, still not too mouthy (yet)!
I also cannot believe that the little guy is going to be here in only 13 short weeks. It seems like yesterday I read it and it said 17 weeks. It is really flying by, at least to me, in the blogging world.
Hope to see you guys again soon int he real world.
I've become pretty good at the "look the other way approach" to parenting, especially with the boys' great desire to do EVERYTHING like daddy. I always say Andy's afraid of change, but when it comes to those cheeky kids, I'm the one who is terrified.
I really enjoyed the age of 4 and found that the only rough spots stemmed from the fact that they now "know better" (for the most part). I said it A LOT ("Elliott! You know better than that!!!")
Kids, huh?!
Post a Comment