Tuesday, November 1, 2005

Trick or Treat!

Here were the events of our Haloween day. Evy started off with a fever after her little school halloween party. She came home and slept, and we didn't get the pumpkins carved into Jack-O-Lanturns because we decided it was more important for Evy to sleep. (that part of me felt pretty guilty about not having it done!) When Daddy woke his little princess she was still begging to go out and get her "hundred pieces of candy." Jayson told her he would carry her around if she wanted. At 6 sharp Grandma Alice, Nanny, Daddy and Snow White headed out the door only to come back about 6 houses later because Evy "just wanted to come home." (Poor thing.) She didn't even want to eat more than a piece or two of her candy.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, this was my experience:

Our first kid (who was about 12 and put about 10 minutes into his Orc costume) walked to the door and said nothing so I stood there with the door open and said nothing, holding the candy and keeping our dog at bay. Afterall, if you're not going to say trick-or-treat, I am not going to give you any candy. If you're not too old to go and get candy from people, you're not too old to say trick-or-treat. After about 10 or 15 seconds of our awkward stare-off Evy came to the door (she was leaving to go trick-or-treating herself) and she started peppering him with questions.
"Who are you?"
"You're scary."
"but your not really scary that's just a mask right?"
"That's a mask right?"
"I am not really scared of you."
"That's a mask, right?""
finally I heard him laugh under his mask, "It's just a mask, yes."
"Happy halloween!" Snow White said waving her way down the driveway.
"Happy halloween" came the muffled voice from under the mask.
Then I gave him a handful of candy.
After that we had a Harry Potter, some skattered princeses a couple of dinosaurs, Greg Wiggle and our last two guests were Elvis and Scarlet O'Hara (Evy and I gave them a few handfuls!)
As I was closing the door the last time Evy looked outside and said, "Oh mommy, look; the grocery store sticker is still on our pumpkin!"

4 comments:

kelli said...

I think it's really funny that you had a stare off with the Orc. I would never have the guts to do that! Then again, maybe I would. I'm sorry Evy wasn't feeling too great. Bummer!! It's no fun if you can't gorge yourself on all your stash.

Felecia said...

I've been known to pepper the silent little buggers with questions of my own... "so are you a pillow-case carrying hobo or something?", etc. I try to mess with them a little until I at least get a smile for my efforts.

Sounds like you guys were all wonderful troopers this time around, with the sicky-bug and all. I would have never known from the pictures that she wasn't feeling well - she looks nothing less than the perfect little Disney Princess!

Mandi said...

I was also slightly peeved by the number of middle school aged kids who were not dressed up but charging in front of our children to get candy!

eyes_only4him said...

that is what I do too. If they dont say trick or treat..no candy..one year i got my house tee peed..i think this is why..LOL..one year i told a high school kid if he wanted candy that bad to go out and get a part time job so he could afford his own.

my hubby hands out the candy now:-)