Sunday, July 9, 2006

God's Country


I remember I was a girl of about 10. It was a hard summer. Mom and Dad had split and my Uncle Mike had moved in with us not long after. We did a lot of camping on the Superior Shore that summer. Even at that young age I think nature worked it's healing within my soul. I was exploring with my Uncle and I remember crossing into a forrest. He stopped for a moment I didn't know why then, but I recognize it now as reverence. "We just crossed into the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, Min."
I didn't really know what he meant, but it sounded like it was important. He went on to tell me of the pristine area that surrounded us... "Pack it in, Pack it out" ...This is God's country... Untouched. Natural. Beautiful. The BWCA. I walked around on a bed of pine needles for what seemed like hours, dappled in the patchy sun as it tried to shine onto the earth beneath the boughs. I saw my first larkspur. The moment has been imprinted on my memory since then.
I thought I'd share this glimpse with you. my friend Shae took the picture and I saw it on his sight. (Thanks Shae for the little peek at heaven!)
Oh, and if you ever get the chance, I highly recommend a canoe trip in those crystal waters!

2 comments:

Felecia said...

I'm relaxed just thinking about it.

Kelly @ Love Well said...

It's probably not Biblical, but I think the BWCA must be what heaven looks like.

Many great memories, eh Mindy?