Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Hush Little Baby...

I've been up a few times most nights with Henry these past couple of weeks. He's developed a habit of thinking the only way to get to sleep is to have a little nip of milk. It leaves me feeling a bit like Elsie the cow and pretty spent. In trying to find other ways to comfort my little milk lover I've been singing him lullabies. That's when it dawned on my that the song "Hush Little Baby" isn't really a lullaby at all.
It's a bribe.
That poor, worn out mother is simply trying to give her child anything if only he'll be quiet! Boy can I relate this week.

8 comments:

kelli said...

OH Mindy! Take refuge in the fact that even though it seems like these days...or nights rather, seem like they may never end, in just a year or so you will not even hardly remember them. It's strange how that happens. I guess it's not that you don't remember, those tough times just sort of melt away into a vast sea of wonderful joyful ones.

Misty said...

although NOT at your expense, i have to admit that i completely laughed out loud at this! you poor thing... it brings to mind all sorts of thoughts in re: to boys (much older than henry of course) and boobs... hmmm....

Mandi said...

As I prepare for another season of this, I totally sympathize. Hang in there!!!

Felecia said...

It's been a while since I've sung that little ditty, yet the bribes go on...

(Smart little buggers, aren't they?)

kelli said...

my babies had that little aquarium. For a long time I gave it as a baby gift because it WAS like magic!

Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jessica said...

Mindy,your children are sooooo adorable. Oh my goodness. Evy has grown so much, we last saw her when she was just a little toddler. We watched the video of her singing. So cute! Our little Ava is 9 months old now. They sure grow up fast. (I got your blog address from Angie's site :) It's so fun to see how you guys are doing. :)

Jessica said...

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, we are going thru the same thing with Ava right now. She used to be a wonderful sleeper and now all the sudden all she wants to do is nurse at night and wakes frequently. It is definitely rough when you are in the midst of it. I do find that my attitude and thoughts can make or break the night. Some are good, some not so much. Hang in there. Oh yeah, the "No-Cry Sleep Solution" is a fabulous, fabulous book, by Elizabeth Pantley