Monday, September 25, 2006

Meet our Adopted Daughter

Evy and I stumbled downstairs to begin the day. I turned on the TV for morning cartoons, and began to hunt for the remote. Evy saw the infomercial that was on. It was for "Feed the Children" and the spot was on Kenya and the street children there who find their food in garbage dumps. I went to change the channel after having found the remote and Evy said "NO! Mom, I want to watch this." She watche dthe whole show and began asking questions over her oatmeal about how exactly the children ate. I explaned they eat the food people throw away, even if it's bad or yucky, because they are so hungry. Evy tried to wrap her 5 year old mind around no home and no food.
"Mommy, can we help those kids?"
"We sure can!" I told her. "It costs about 32 dollars a month for us to adopt a child in another country. Instead of them coming to live with us, we send them money and they get food, clothes, toys at christmas, a bible, they go to school, and they get to learn about Jesus."
"I can earn money for that!" She said running to get her little broom and start chores around the house.
Together we went up to the computer and sifted through children needing sponsors. Evy chose Tanzania, because that's where our friend "little Abi" lives. And she chose a girl who is about her own age who lives with her grandparents (becase Evy told me an orphan doesn't have parents.)
She wanted to keep Rehema's picture and stats in her room, and she can't wait to write her a letter.
While we were getting dressed, Evy came out into the loft and asked me if we could use our Disney jar to take a trip to where Rehema lives instead. "I'd like to do taht instead of go to Disney World, ok Mommy?"
Lord, bless my little daughter's compassionate heart. Cultivate that rich soil. And bless our little Rehema as well.

3 comments:

Misty said...

how very sweet! I love it... our family has a girl too and Genny likes to writer her letters... I remember wanting to do it as a girl (i think i, then, was a bit more deluted about what would happen...) but my mom always said it was a scam...

Congratulations on your new daughter :)

kelli said...

Now Evy has a sister and a brother! How sweet is that little girls heart? I will say that prayer right along with you!

Felecia said...

Awwwwe(heart melting)!

Hi-five Evy from Auntie Felecia, would ya? Tell her I said "You go girl"!