OK...Can I just say...
Jesus wasn't about the church of his day. He didn't much like the "church" leaders of his day. He called them out and they hated him. It seems like neither side much liked what the other was doing. The Pharasees probably started out meaning well. They wanted to follow God as best as they possilby could. So they looked to the law. But in the process they piled all this unnecessary stuff onto the backs of the people. The Israelites where trying to follow God's law and rest on the sabbath and the pharasees came along and asked, "what is resting? Can we pick up a pencil? Can we help our donkey up if he falls? can we stand? How far can we walk?" And they set rules for all of it. So much so that when God-in-the-Flesh was in their midst and healed a man all they could do was grumble how it was against the law to heal someone on the sabbath. COME ON PEOPLE!!!!!! They'd lost the point.
I humbly submit that perhaps we have, too.
We assert that Jesus is a Republican. We fixate on issues like abortion and homosexuality while totally ignoring the AIDS pandemic in Africa or the genocides in Darfur. No, actually, if Jesus were on on earth now I don't think he'd drive a BMW. And I don't think America is the closest place to heaven. But that's what we focus on. The poor and needy are starving to death. Widows and orphans are exploited everyday, We could feed a child in a poorer country for $30 a month but instead we worry if our multi-million dollar building campigns will succeed. Where's the love?
It's all about love.
Love. Loving your neighbor as yourself. Throwing off all the encumbrences and just loving Jesus. Forget all the politics of church, forget trying to "be a Christian" just follow Christ. And maybe with out the little bracelet reminder. Do what he would do, what he DID; feed the poor, help those in need, LOVE PEOPLE, disciple the nations. Like Mother Theresa said, "I cannot do great things, but I can do small things with great love."
Maybe it's the upcoming elections. Maybe it's the recent scandal in CO. Maybe it's just been brewing in my heart much longer than that. I just yearn to see people stop it with church already and start acting like Jesus. Myself included!
Sunday, November 5, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Go Mindy, go Mindy!
I started reading the book, however, I am struggling with a few things. Let's get together.
Preach it sister!!
loving the post......
great viewpoint, it's where I've been at since moving to FL. we have a great church which is not about "church" but about people and our heart condition, not about "issues" but seriously just about Jesus. Honestly, at first, I was offended (I know stupid) because they didn't have the ministries that I thought they should, but now....now, I am behind it because it's not "church" rather a challenge to have an actual relationship with Jesus and out of that comes all of the things you mentioned and more!...it's very challenging and good.
While I definately don't have the corner market on this new take to "church", I do know that I have grown leaps and bounds in my walk with the Lord since being a part of such a place and I am thankful that they don't "preach" on social topics, rather our heart condition and how that translates into our walk with Jesus which ultimately overflows into our response to everyone around us. I don't know if that makes sense....hope so....keep going though, I think you are in a good place!!
Very well put, Cuz; and a nice reminder to boot.
Post a Comment