Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Christmas [cheer]

I'm having an internal debate. As I sit typing, the window to my right frames a scene from a Christmas card. Pillowy soft white snow drapes the branches of the massive trees along our street. neighbors have long since decked their halls, and icy foot prints line the sidewalk. It's peaceful in a below freezing kind of way.
Christmas is usually a Mixed bag for me. Since losing my mom I find myself sometimes ambivalent, and sometimes determined to make Christmas everything she would have. "Seriously, Mom always decorated right away." "Mom found a way to buy tons of presents on her budget." "I've got to make the caramel marshmallows like Mom always did." It's fun and a little melancholy to cue up "Blue Christmas" by Elvis and dance around bedazzling things. But I do it. I've always done it. And with 7 years of mothering under my belt, we have begun to forge our own little traditions.

However, THIS year, we're packing up the truck and heading over the river and through the woods to Auntie Libby and Uncle Zacs. (Insert cheers and loud whoops of excitement.) The family is very excited about our trip and I'm already conniving ways to stay a few extra days. Despite much anticipation, this throws a little bit of a wrench into my decorating, because we've not really been gone for the holidays before. I'm torn about how much to decorate, getting a REAL tree (heretofore not up for discussion) when to start...
So I'm seeking help from my BFs (That's Blogging Friends). Any ideas? What do you guys do if you travel? How much decking do your halls get?

3 comments:

Mrs. Hawk said...

Christmas just isn't a day, it's a season - so decorate it up!

But the real tree...I don't have any suggestions for you there. We have a fake tree and then burn a candle. I'm not a fan of the real tree. That's just me, but it makes it easier to travel! :)

Kelly @ Love Well said...

Back in our childless days, we didn't really worry too much about a tree. I think we usually got one (a real one; Corey has standards, apparently), but if it died before December 25, no one cared.

Once Natalie came along, we felt obligated to have a tree that would look nice for Christmas. So the year we were in San Jose and traveling to MN for the holidays, we got a small fake tree. It was nice for that year. We sold it when we moved to the townhouse.

I think it's hard to scrimp on Christmas with kids around. Personally, I could skip it ALL this year; I'm feeling very hum-bug. But I don't want to ruin my kids' December.

kelli said...

I say do all your regular stuff. I agree its a season...not just a day. It will get you in the mood. Do your regular traditions and get a tree, the kind you would usually get.