Monday, June 8, 2009

Peep Show


It's true, most people just get a dog. BUT my secret forays to Great Dane rescue websites aside, Mindy+Dog is not happening any time soon. We all know what happened to Harry Winston (God bless 'em!) And a cat is out of the question. I'm not really up for rodents of any kind although I did seriously consider a hedge hog (they're too expensive...and nocturnal.) And I've looked into minature pigs (they're not all that minature BTW!)
What I'm trying to convey to you all is that I am an animal lover, people. I free bugs. (and bats!) After it would rain when I was a little girl, I used to go out to the street and gather the worms that had collected along the curb. I used to make up little "worm circuses" with them and try to teach them to slither tightropes made of grass (and no, I'm not even exaggerating).

So when my puppy lust was at its peak and I couldn't stand being petless another day, my dear friend Kelli mentioned she was getting some chicks and I could have a few if I wanted them. Any reason (and the fact that we live in the middle of downtown) conveniently took leave from my head and I decided to take the plunge.
Meet (from Left to right)

Mamma C (Kid friendly for "Mother Clucker")
Bob Tomato (henry's chick)
Kung Pao (mine)
Speedy (Evy's)

They're currently living in our mudroom in a big box under a heat lamp. They peep and peck at everything that looks interesting. They are growing bigger and bigger every day and they're just so much fun! They look a little mangy at the moment midway between feathers and fluff, but I think it's endearing. Needless to say, they're really growing on me. The kids love them too!


I even caught Jayson warming up to the little fluffers.
So, come fall the Schoeb Abode will have our own fresh organic eggs. Add that to the garden that's going in any day and we're practicing sustainable living in a way that would even make our Asheville friends proud!!! :)






3 comments:

Kelly @ Love Well said...

I'm so impressed with you, farmer girl.

When are you moving off the grid?

Me & My Crazy Boys! said...

Oooh, they are so cute (both the kids and the chicks)! Get here soon, I miss those kiddos!

Mrs. Hawk said...

When do you get a duck?