I swear last night when I was tucking Evy in I saw wings sprouting at her sholder blades. She's just a small little peanut, but she's flying away. I checked in on her 5 times last night before going to sleep. She looked so peaceful, but all I could think about was tomorrow, she'd be taking a step farther away from me.
It's so bittersweet.
Oh, wait, let me explain.....tomorrow Evy starts school.
Today dawned early and overcast. the January snow was still white and fresh, and the temp was about 20 degrees. I crept into Evy's room and sat on the edge of her bed. She looked so serene sleeping under her ballerina bedding. I just kept thinking that this was a monumental day. I held her hand and woke her gently.
"Evy, are you ready to wak up? It's your first day of school, honey."
Her eyes fluttered open and after a moment she smiled.
"I'm ready for school mommy."
She ate lucky charms while I put her hair into pig tails (careful to use a barette on the stubble from The Hair Cut Incident). We put on her new flowered dress, her shoes, her coat, scarf, hat and mittens and off she shuffled into the car.
She's growing and I can't stop it.
I'm so indescribably happy for her. She will have a blast. As soon as we walked in the door she left us behind to meet friends and play dress up. She didn't even give a backward glance as I left for the office to fill out her paperwork. She was confident and happy and excited.
And I was scared, unsure and sad.
And proud and excited and some un-nameable emotion.
This is the beginning of her school career. Today marks the first day she will never be my little at home toddler again. Now she's a school girl.
Where did her babyhood go???
Tuesday, January 25, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
You've opened a faucet of flashbacks, dear cousin. Even to me, her picture on this day seems aged in comparison to the tea party picture (which for obvious reasons, had a small eyelid mutation...)
Grab hold of something tight, because this whirlwind is bound to last the rest of her life.
oh mindy, she has become quite a girl hasn't she? i realize it more and more each time i see her. oh mindy.....
but what a lucky mommy you are!
Post a Comment