Sunday, April 10, 2005

The Jewelry Crown

Last night I all but rushed through the bedtime routine with Evy. We layed in her bed and read "inch by inch" as the theme from "Out of Africa" played softly in the night light-lit room. I closed the book and snuggle-hugged her and kissed her angelic forehead.
"Mommy, what does heaven look like?"
"Well, honey, no one really knows, but the Bible says there's gates with all kinds of jewels and streets of gold...it's more beautiful than we could ever imagine."
Evy's face lit up when I mentioned jewels.
"Are the jewels all pretty colors? When I go there, could I pick one off the gate and look at it in my hand?"
"Probably. Know what else? You get your own crown of jewels to wear!"
Evy drew in all the breath a three-year-old possibly could in her excitement. She contemplated this wonder for a while.
"Know what the best part is? Since we've asked Jesus in our hearts, we get to live with him in heaven forever!"
"That's really great."
"Maybe you can have a dream about heaven tonight, Evy."
We cuddle a little closer and I ask Evy the nightly what-was-your-favorite-part-of-today? question ans she says it was going to the movie store with Elyse and even though that was yesterday I tell her I'm glad and ask if she wants to pray for her. She says yes, so we pray for Elyse, and that Evy would have a dream about heaven.

Then we're on our way to church this morning and Evy calls from the back, "I had a good sleep last night."
"Good!" I respond, "Did you have a dream about heaven?"
"No," she says but after a moment adds, "I did dream about my pretty jewelry crown though!"

3 comments:

Mandi said...

I love Evy stories....and when are we going to see pictures of the wedding?!?!?!?!

Misty said...

she is such a sweet girl! i can just imagine the wonder on her perfect little face as you explained to her about heaven!

kelli said...

Mindy, you are a great mother. I will teach you about sibling friendships and learn from you about leading my children through life as a believer. I am not great about things like asking if they want to pray for their friends and such. I love your stories!!