Thursday, June 2, 2005

The Little Angler

Evy loved fishing. She actually caught 4 fish. The first (as every first fish should be) was caught with a kernal of corn. Then that wasn't getting many bites. So we went hunting for worms in the dirt with sticks. We couldn't find any, but Evy kept saying, "Lets persevere, Mommy." Dig, dig, dig. "I'm going to persevere until tomorrow if I have to." Dig, Dig, Dig.
So we perservered our way to the Party Store down the block and bought a dozen nightcrawlers.
Armed with the little flower fishing pole, our plastic carton of worms, and of course the camera, we headed to the pond. We walked along the shore carful to avoid the "gooey-goo" and goose..ahem. They were sweet moments watching the bobber, Evy sat on my lap and watched or hugged around my sholders. When the bobber would jiggle, Evy would turn her face right to mine and ask, "was that you, mommy?" (Mostly it wasn't.)
When she finally reeled in her first fish, here's the dialouge that followed:
"Oh, he's so beautiful."
"Do you want to touch it?"
"Oh, sure."
Pause while the fish is taken off the hook.
"Daddy, now can we take it home and cook it int he fire and eat him up? Even his eyes?" (Said all very quickly in a special little excited voice she has.)
We had to explain "catch and release" while Evy talked about how much she wanted to eat the "beauty-ful fish."
So, Mandi, I think it's safe to say she'll be one of us "cool" girls. :o)

6 comments:

Misty said...

where did you fish at? Gen fished a lot with her grandpa in idaho last fall and here her pole sits now. she loves to fish and here her sweet little pole sits, growing dust....
your little one looks so big and grown up in that picture....
dare i ask, will there be a fishing video made out of this adventure??

Mandi said...

Horray for cool girls!!!!!

Felecia said...

What a wonderful memory! I just about laughed myself out of my chair when I read that she wanted to fry the little fella up and eat him!

Me & My Crazy Boys! said...

Eat the eyes - Yikes! Maybe Zac and I should bring some caviar to her next b-day party, it sounds like she’s into some pretty "exotic" fish food :)

kelli said...

What a sweety pie...she looks so proud of that little fishy!

Mrs. Hawk said...

I laughed out loud when I read that she wanted to eat the fish! That's how I like them too...dead and on a plate :)