My friend Misty wrote that her ducks are finally getting back in line. I think if I have ducks, they've taken a permanent leave of absence.
So there I was down the basement. It's really coming together and finally I was able to shake that nagging feeling of being unable to help and really get things organized. Finally, a basement project that was mine. Look at me: Mighty Contributor! The contents of what is left of our deep dark storage area were splayed before me and my wonderful husband had just assembled 4 shelves that would hold 40 bins. FORTY! Oh the heavenly organization!
**OK, for those of you who don't know this about me, here's a little confessional. We all have our vices, our...we'll call them idiosyncrasies (compulsions is such an ugly word). Mine is organization. I organize my daughter’s toy bins weekly. Everything has a place. When she asks me to play Polly Pockets with her (they are these annoying little plastic people with plastic-rubbery clothes) my “playing” usually entails dividing out their clothes from their accessories and their shoes and putting them all in their own separate little containers. I know it’s silly and a waste of time. I don’t get mad when she dumps them all out the next day or anything, but I still just can’t help myself from organizing them. The world seems such a better place when my home is organized. You can imagine what this has become during my pregnancy.**
…Back to the bins. All the disaster is splayed before me and I decipher how many bins I need to house all of these things; stray sports equipment, old year books, an original Nintendo, camping supplies and more… About half of what we have is already neatly bined and labeled. I stuff the compulsion (oops…there’s that ugly word) to buy ALL NEW BINS entirely so they all match exactly, and deciding a dozen bins ought to do it, off we head to Target where the previous bins had been purchased because, let’s face it, the new bins at least have to match the old ones.
And therein lies the problem dear readers.
The bins aren’t there. I NEED these bins and they’re not there. Oh, they have bins alright. Really nice Rubbermaid bins that are the same size, but they’re transparent BLUE—not the clear ones I have with the nice snap on green and blue lids. These Rubbermaid bins aren’t the same brand, nor the same color. The same brand bins are clear, but have been redesigned square instead of the nice rounded corners mine have, and they don’t have the handy snap on lid. Even if they did, there still aren’t as many as I need of any ONE kind.
My pulse quickens and I swallow the anxiety that has begun to creep into my throat. I’ll try somewhere else, a different isle maybe.
Nothing.
I call Jayson who is very patient pretending to understand my pre-panic and checks Home Depot, Lowes and Meijer online. We’d have to order them and they take 4-6 weeks (HELLO! Baby being born here!). PLUS they only give a description. There is no picture. I explain to him how I need to see a picture because of the square corner/round corner problem I’m having and he patiently tells me he’ll go out and scour the town when he gets home (what a man!).
A bit disheartened that my organization will be thwarted I go to buy some Halloween candy for Evy’s preschool party. I turn down the isle, and THERE ARE MY BINS! The lovely rounded corners, the 66 quart size, there are even more than I need! AND they’re ON SALE!
Except…
Well…
The lids…
…They’re bright orange with black handles.
Yup.
I panic. The sane Mindy KNOWS that I should get over the color of the lids and buy them, they’re a great price and exactly the same in every other way. But COME ON!!!! Haloween bins? They really HAD to be orange and black?!?!
This is a dilemma.
Really.
I call Jayson for some sympathy and he LAUGHS at me.
“Buy the bins,” he says, “You’re crazy and pregnant. It’s truly not that big a deal.”
I try to plead my case. He is laughing harder and I can hear his secretary is laughing as well. I know the sane Mindy sees the humor, but Pregnant Organizer Mindy has taken over. Don’t they see the PROBLEM here?!
I’ll buy them, but I know the color will bug me. It’s already bugging me. I devise a plan in which I can return the lids for other ones after Halloween is over and they get the regular lid colors back in. Or maybe I can spray paint them…Jayson hangs up still laughing and I call Shannon for support. If anyone will understand it is my neighbor Shannon. She has a similar…affinity to cleanliness and order.
Well, if Shannon says she’d buy them, I guess I should.
She’s sane. She spoke sense to me. They are behind closed doors after all. Form FOLLOWS function. I purchased the bins and left the store. And now here I am, all my bins on the shelves nice and organized, all orange lids hidden as best as I can.
Oh, and I’m still considering swapping out the lids at a later date. I honestly don’t think it’s just a pregnancy thing. They SHOULD all at least coordinate. Right?
RIGHT?!
Wednesday, October 26, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

14 comments:
i, too, understand. though i gave up organizing the tiniest of gen's things- long ago- i do get the organization NEED. (i stress need because it is a need...without it, well, life is far too chaotic and why allow that to happen with that which we can control....)
Mindy, I don't have nor understand the need for organization. However, my husband does, so if you ever get into that "compulsive" mood and just need to organize something, come on over...and I don't care what color, shape or size bins you use to do it!
In light of the bin situation, I have to inform you that the bins Zac and I will be bringing are the blue rubbermaid type. For the most part they match in color, style, and size. I hope this confession doesn't hinder my moving in :)
LOVE YOU (crazy)!
Oh Mindy...what can I say. I'm glad you bought the bins. If anyone comes over to your house and criticizes you for not having the same color lids (not to mention the fact of why anyone would go into your basement behind closed doors anyway), send them my way.
Wait. A. Minute.
YOU BOUGHT FREAKIN' ORANGE LIDS?!?
Just kidding.
But speaking as a fellow compulsive, (hey, it's better than "anal") I just have to say -- I relate.
And now may I poke a thought into your jellied consciousness that will give you nightmares from now until the baby's birth (at which point, you won't be sleeping for a while anyway) -- THEY MAY NOT MAKE THOSE BLUE AND GREEN LIDS ANYMORE! AT ALL!
I speak from experience. Apparently, Rubbermaid changes their style slightly every year, so as to keep consumers "interested."
The only solution is to buy 45 of the bins you like when you find them, because YOU KNOW they won't be in the stores next year.
Either that, or go "Martha" and make your own bins from cherry wood that you've collected in your back woods.
Ok. I'll stop now.
As I sit surrounded by chaos, I wonder what my life would be like if I were organizationally challenged. Hmmmm.....ok, that's enough of that! I do however got more that way when I am pregnant, so that part I do understand!
Not crazy. Not crazy.
Libby-I'll let you (and your bins) stay, but I'm afraid my bins will not be aloud to associate with your bins. I'm sure you understand.
Kelly-I will try to overlook the comment about no more blue/green lids AT ALL as I've already started my own "Martha-esque" plastic recycling center in my basement. (don't you all have them too?!?!)
Not Crazy. Not Crazy.
Libby- After consideration, I've decided you (and your bins) are still welcome to stay. My bins, however, will not be aloud to associate with your bins.
Kelly- I am over-looking the horrible proposal that the green/blue lids are no longer in existance. (Sometimes denial is our best friend.) I'm chosing instead, to focus my attention on the "Martha-esque" plastic moulding room I've planned for the basement. (don't you all have them too?!?!)
When I read this I was going to recommend that you just buy all of the orange lid bins and do away wiht all the bins that you already have. Matching bins are the most important thing to a basement, especially when they are behind closed doors. Are you the kind that needs her underwear to match her clothing? :) Love ya, girl!
WHOA!
I know this isn't my blog, but Becky! Are you casting aspersions on those of us who are underwear-coordinated?!? (Says the girl who isn't even WEARING underwear today because she doesn't have a pair that's red.)
Careful, girl. Careful.
Oh! And Mindy -- I don't have a recycling center in my basement because we live in the country and recycling hasn't been discovered here.
Plus, let's be honest -- most people who farm recycle all on their own. Those coffee grounds go into the garden, the kitchen scraps go to the pigs, the newspapers get shredded for when the barn cats have kittens.
So I try to embrace their ethic and make it my own. But I still feel a twinge of guilt when I throw away my pickle jar instead of making it into a lovely bird house. (Or my Starbucks cup -- BECAUSE WE HAVE A STARBUCKS NOW!)
Guess I still need work on embracing the country ethic.
Not wearing underwear? I'm not going there :)
Kelly - do you have a blog? I clicked on you and there are many listed but they don't go anywhere. Miss you girl! We should get together soon!!!
Mindy...
Coordination is everything. EVERYTHING I TELL YOU! I believe that your storage containers should COORDINATE right up to the lids.
Just ask anybody who has been in my basement. They would all tell you that the YARD BAGS which are being used to store many of our outdated and/or outsized household items MATCH!!
Oh dear. (I can't believe I just admitted that!) Perhaps a self-help book is in order? Somebody sign me up for "Mission Organization" (please hurry!)
Post a Comment