Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Hola from Costa Rica!

Hola Amigos y familia!
We are here in Costa Rica having a great time. We've been occupied, but not over-whelmed, which has been good. The Boulters are very nice and the home we're staying in is beautiful and just perfect for us. We even each have our own bedroom. Evy is sharing with the cat "Stinky". She really likes that.
The kids have adapted very well. Evy is eager to play and try to communicate, although she does get a bit frustrated when she can't understand or be understood, but coming from first hand knowledge, it is frustrating! She's doing great, and often attempts Spanish on her own.
Henry is so funny. He hasn't been napping (surprise, surprise!). There's just too much to see and experience. I did include a rare photo of our napper. We've concluded that he will just have to catch his cat naps as we walk from place to place. And coincidently, he's sleeping now, at least for the moment.
Yesterday we opened the community center in Juan Pablo for the kids. WE brought coloring books, games and toys and nail polish. Evy passed out a lot of candy, and we all had fun playing with the kids. We also went to Mylady's home and Jayson introduced us. Mylady is a woman Jayson worked with on his last trip. They loved to see the kids. They were so welcoming. They even gave Evy some ice cream. Mylady's mother kept saying that Evy looked like a little barbie. She liked that a lot! And Little H really took a liking to Mylady. WE all played dominoes and attempted to talk, which mostly ended up in charades and laughter at "Rambo" (their nickname for Jayson).
Today has been my favorite day so far. We went to the feeding center. I haven't uploaded those pictures yet, but it was wonderful to feel at least a little more helpful and less like a gringo in the way. Evy passed out plates and her and I washed while Jayson played with kids and talked with a friend, george, the associate pastor of the church that runs the feeding center. I'm on my way with Spencer to language classes tonight. I'm very interested in learning to teach English as a second language, so I'm giving it a go tonight. Nothing like trial by fire, huh? :o)

All in all we're having a great trip and really getting a sense for the country and the ministry. A few pictures follow. But for now, I must go get in on a game of Uno with Chichi and the crew! Buenos dias!




This is Evy and Henry with Mylady at her home in Juan Pablo.




This is a shot of Evy and Jayson on the way to Juan Pablo. You can see alalajuita below.


This is how Henry has taken to napping...en route to destinations on daddy's back.

2 comments:

Jacki Minney said...

We love your pictures especially HOS sleeping. I hope his lip doesn't freeze like that!!!

Have a great trip and know we are all back here praying for you!!!

Jacki-on behalf of Cell 242

Me & My Crazy Boys! said...

Miss you guys and totally jealous! I'm glad to hear you are all have a great time and helping to make a difference. Keep healthy and safe - see you soon!
Love Auntie Lib & Uncle Zac