Yesterday we went to the feeding center yesterday. Evy's been looking forward to it since we arrived. She's been referring to it as "the Compassion Child". I tried to explain to her that our Compassion child, Rehema(see previous post), wouldn't be there, and this really wasn't a Compassion project. I don't think it filtered down into Five-Year-Old speak because she continued to call the Feeding Center "Compassion Child." When we first arrived and saw a pile of garbage on the side of the road, Evy asked if that's where the compassion children eat.
Anyway, she was delighted when it was finally time to go. We hopped the bus to Aroura (of which Evy said, Mommy! That's Sleeping Beauty's other name!) and we were off. Evy was an eager helper the entire time. I was really proud of her. (incidentally, she even dried huge sink-fuls of dishes joyfully.) When we started passing out bowls of food, Evy would tell the woman (who thankfully didn't speak English), "I need another bowl for the compassion child!"
As I was tucking her in I asked her about her favorite part of the day. She told me it was riding the bus who's name was Aurora. I explained the whole town was called Aurora, it wasn't the bus' name. She looked slightly disappointed.
Jayson was talking to Seth, the Boulter's five-year-old. Earlier that day he had gotten upset with his mom and threw a little box of candy in the trash to spite her. Later, he came up and put his hand on Jayson's shoulder and said, "Jayson, I've got to ask you a favor, but I don't think you should do it. I threw my box of Nerds in the trash and I want you to go in and get it for me."
Molly (Spencer's wife), had reprimanded her boys for arguing with one another. Afterwards she sat down on the couch next to Evy. Evy quietly leaned over and said comfortingly, "Sometimes my mom speaks harshly to me, too."
For the bus home from Aurora Jayson bought the family ice cream bars. They're called "Choco Biggers." Our friend, Dave DeVaney asked Evy to eat one in honor of him while we were here. As Evy was eating hers I was looking at her hands and noticing how big they're getting and how much she's growing. I commented on her big girl hands, and she held hers up to mine. She smiled. I told Evy she'd have to tell Mr. DeVaney she'd had his Bigger. She said, "You call him, Mommy. Tell him I've had a few Choco Biggers, that's why I'm growing bigger."
We helped teach an English class with Spencer yesterday. Henry stayed behind but Evy insisted on going. She told me, "I really want to go mommy. I can help the children. I'm a gooder English Speaker."
Needless to say, it wasn't what she expected, and she came home saying, "I never want to do that again. That was the most boringer thing ever. I could die of boring."
And on a really random note:
For the past 2 nights the cat has fallen behind the refrigerator and scrambles and meows until we move it to let him out. Then he dashes away (assumeably embarrassed) and hides for most of the day. Aren't cats supposed to be svelte and graceful? Poor Stinky. (That's the cat.)
Wednesday, November 29, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I love your random note - we too are experiencing cat "excitment." More on that when you get home :) I am so pround of you all! E-mail me if you get a chance - love you all!
I just love Evy's little sayings!!! That girl can sure put a smile on your face.
Enjoy the rest of your trip and keep blogging it!!
What an amazing set of experiences for you (all); I would be interested to see what Evy's pictoral journal might look like after everything is said and done (perhaps a princess on the side of a bus?)
Take care out there!
Things are certainly exciting down there! I love reading about it!
The Compassion Child thing is very sweet!
Tell Evy that I always thought English class was pretty boringer too, And I have read that, in some countries, you really can die from boring :)
Post a Comment