OK...Because I'm supposed to be putting away laundry (the bane of my existance) here'smy deep thought for the week.
I've been so overwhelmed by the sheer volume there is to do in my house. I clean one mess while Henry is making three behind me. I fold clothes and he tears down my neat piles with reckless abandon. I try to get dinner on the table as he dismantles my cabnets. Bedtime in our house takes about an hour and a half. Yes. It's true. An hour and a half. Each child needing what (evidently) only mommy can give. I was feeling particularly warn out by the sheer volume of redundant things I do. I can't keep up. Why try? Then I read Colossians (3:23 & 24 to be exact).
"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving."
Yeah, I've read it before. But you know how sometimes God can make the words so fresh; like the hair on the back of your neck stands at attention? That's where I'm at. (Thanks in part to Beth Moore.)
Here's what I've been bouyed by:
"You, sister, are getting paid by GOD HIMSELF for the hours you work as unto the Lord. I'm not being cheesy. Our future inheritance is real, and it far exceeds minimum wage. You possess a heavenly bank account in wich He is making divine deposits for every moment you work as unto Him."
It helped to know those 3 times I get up to banish bad dreams and tuck my little girl back into her bed don't go unnoticed by my Savior. He's keeping track. And if I work as unto Him it's not just a loss of 10 minutes sleep at all. It's not just another diaper changed or mashed banana scrubbed off the bottom of the table, it's building an inheritance where noting can spoil or rot. It's not meaningless. He's loveingly looking on encouraging me to work as unto Him so it can really count.
So here I am today surrounded by trash (emptied by my resident 16 month old trash-collector-in-training) And yet suddenly I feel new vitality. I feel new purpose. I am not cleaning my floor for the millionth time for nothing.
You aren't either by the way. So with my trash bag in one hand and my cup of fabric softner in the other I offer you "cheers"!
Wednesday, May 2, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
"Here's to you!" Congrats on the refreshed outlook - that's the way to go! I also can't believe my little "Henis the Menice" is 16 months old. I stopped counted when he turned 1! I miss you guys!
wow min, that's pretty extraordinary. I was just chatting with a girlfriend today about how, if we moms were paid what we were worth... It amazed me instantly, reading your post, how a change in our attitude can change everything else!
Thank you for your post. I work at a Christian organization and I have to tell myself this same thing! It's so easy to forget what it's all about.
Side note: There's an article on msn.com about what Moms should make: http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/CollegeAndFamily/RaiseKids/ThePriceOfAMom.aspx
So the whole link didn't make it on my comment. Here you go! http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/CollegeAndFamily/RaiseKids/ThePriceOfAMom.aspx
A changed perspective is a spiritual face lift. You look better, you feel better, and others see the difference.
Loved this post, Mindella. Loved it.
Thanks for the encouragement Mindy! Now I'm going to go sing my way through the mountain of laundry waiting to be folded on my bed. Love you.
Post a Comment