Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Great Escape

It's happened--and at least a year too soon if you ask this mommy! I walked upstairs about a week and a half ago and to my surprise I heard a knocking from the inside of Henry's room. "That couldn't be my sweet napping cherub...could it?" I thought as I headed toward the room.
knock. knock. knock.
"Momma?" ...... "Momma?".... knock knock... "MOM!!" (yes, you read that right. In addition to crawling out of his crib my son has also begun calling me "mom".
I opened the door and their stood Henry, innocently holding his blankee book, and sippy in his sweet little arms. "Did you get out of your crib?" (Don't you love how as parents we sometimes ask the stupidest, most obvious questions to our children?)
"Uh-huh."
"Did you climb out?"
"Uh-huh."
"Did you hurt yourself?"
"Uh-huh." (with fake sadness)
"Where?"
"mmruph." (rubbing his little blond head)
I told him he shouldn't climb out of his crib because he will fall and hit his head. I deposited him back into his crib and told him to finish his nap. Again. And again. And again.
six times, in fact, before I decided to see exactly how he was performing this great escape.

WARNING: turn down your sound while watching the video!! Although it is a bit funny to hear how he can turn it on and off, Henry is shrieking through most of this clip.



Hence we have officially ushered in the toddler bed. And ushered out (once again) sleeping through the night. I would appreciate any advice on how to make a not-yet-two-year-old stay in his bed
all
night.
Anyone?

10 comments:

Laura Webber said...

WOW! Henry is quite the limber little man! It is a sad, sad day to see the "Cage" go. Isn't it funny how Henry seems to glare defiantly at the camera before hoisting himself to freedom?

Felecia said...

I am so amazed at the graceful technique he employs (and the fast pace, I might add) in his escape! Aside from putting the crib upside down on top of him, I'm stumped! ha ha Have you tried using a gate to his bedroom doorway now that he's mobile? It might slow down his 2,3 & 4am visiting attempts:)

Good luck cuz!!

Me & My Crazy Boys! said...

Wow, he is really very good at the escape! I love that boy!

True_Floridian Momma said...

WOW!!
Mindy, your little mister has some mad skills at climbing....sorry no advice, just wanted to say WOW :)

kelli said...

Well, Noah was 16 months or so when he went into a toddler bed because we had Sam coming and needed it and couldn't afford a second crib, toddler beds were cheaper!

We put up a gate and endured the crying/screaming for an hour or so. The boy fell asleep on the floor, we picked him up asleep and put him back into his bed so that was where he woke up the next morning. Next night...same thing. Third night, he stayed in his bed.

Mandi said...

We too did the baby gate thing, and it was successful after the first few nights...I can sympathize being the mother if a few avid climbers myself! Love the video!!!

Misty said...

I don't know min... could have seen this coming. I am not at all surprised with his technique as he has always been a bit of a monkey...

Jessica said...

Hey Mindy.
We actually put Ava in a twin bed at the age of 20 months. A good friend suggested reading and recording some of her favorite stories on tape (at the end of the stories that I recorded I also recorded her nap time music) and then playing them for her when it was time to sleep, then the quiet dark room doesn't seem so lonely and scary...it isn't a perfect cure all, but for the most part this little trick keeps her mind busy. We also tickle her back and read stories before bed and this completely winds her down and most times she will fall asleep to the back tickle. The middle of the night is more tricky...many times I or Kurt will lay with Ava when she wakes and this comforts her and she will fall back to sleep. I have just realized that she needs extra comfort at night and if we give it to her it is a much more peaceful night as apposed to trying to allow her to deal with it on her own.

A toddler bed or twin bed is definitely a new and challenging adventure. Did Evy do well with that transition or did she not transition (climb out) this early?

Henry certainly has mastered the technique to climbing out successfully. Wow!

kelli said...

Mindy, Tony says Jayson must be so proud...we would say like father like son, except Henry didn't get hurt while doing it!!

Rachel said...

Wow, impressive Henry! I love how you captured that on video.

Ava had the same crib and sadly, learned the same maneuver. I was determined that she was not moving out of the crib until she was at least two. So I rigged the crib so that it would stay standing even though the mattress was basically on the floor. I'm sure it would not have based any extensive safety measures, but it lasted until she was a little bit older.

Best of luck to you and your sleep!