Wednesday, August 6, 2008

monsters

Our house has seen an increase (infestation?) of monsters lately.

They used to confine themselves only to my daughter's bedroom. The usual places: under her bed, in her closet, lurking in the shadows.

It seems though, now, they've moved. Their territory now includes Henry's room next door. Every night I tuck them in--I know you're envisioning the sweet storybook moments associated with the nightly tuck in, and though we have those occasionally, usually our night rituals include me peeling each child's arms and fingers off of my neck and face and telling them I'm leaving their room and to stay in their beds.

Henry's come a long way from his escape artist days. Now I can put him in his bed, leave the door open and walk out. (Oh the joy!!) I could, that is, until a few nights ago.
"Mommy," he called from his open door.
"Go to sleep honey, I love you." I called from the other room.
"There's monsters in mine room."

Last night both kids came running in to our bed in the wee hours claiming monsters were under their beds.
Today when I put Henry down for his nap he told me he didn't want his walls to be blue anymore because "monsters live in that blue." Instead he wanted green. Or light blue.
Apparently those colors are some sort of monster repellent??

Tonight I plan on arming myself with some good old fashioned "monster spray" (that would be a spray bottle with water) and getting rid of them once and for all. (I hope!)

3 comments:

kelli said...

Color the water green...or light blue.

I think there's monsters in mine bathroom. I better have Tony remodel it to get rid of 'em.

Felecia said...

Love the monster spray - these little tricks of the trade are ingenious, aren't they?

I'm learning that midnight paranoia has a way of cycling back. Poor Elliott got wind that if you say "Bloody Murder" 13 times in front of a mirror, an axe murderer will come in the middle of the night. (Wasn't it "Bloody Mary" when we were young?) Oye.

Kelly @ Love Well said...

Hope the monster spray worked. :-)